DOG BITE AND PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY
DOG BITES AND OTHER ANIMAL ATTACKS
A victim of a dog attack, may suffer serious physical and emotional injuries, followed by potentially permanent scarring. Depending on the circumstances of the attack, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Clearly, it is important to know your legal rights!
The insurance industry has moved to exclude Dog Bites from their standard homeowners’ policies. If this is the case, it will take an experienced attorney to find other applicable policies to cover what can be extensive medical bills.
If homeowners’ insurance policy covers such vicious attacks, the insurance company has a detailed plan to mitigate their potential loss. An insurance adjuster is quickly assigned to the claim to protect the homeowner. They will investigate the incident, interview the witnesses, take self-serving statements and frequently attempt to obtain a statement from the individual attacked or their parent. THIS IS WHEN YOU NEED TO HAVE US ON YOUR SIDE, PROTECTING YOUR INTERESTS.
Insurance adjusters will likely quickly retain an attorney for their insured, the owner of the animal, in an attempt to avoid responsibility for the attack. It is important that you immediately hire an experienced dog bite attorney to begin preparing your case and protecting your rights!
DO NOT SETTLE A DOG BITE CASE QUICKLY!
Insurance adjusters will often contact you and attempt to settle a claim quickly to limit their exposure to additional medical bills and damages. Do not fall for this trick! A significant percentage of dog bite victims are children under the age of ten (10). It may take months for the wound to heal and at least one (1) year before a scar can be properly evaluated for surgical repair. This is true in adults also. Only a qualified plastic surgeon can properly evaluate a scar. The costs of the future medical procedure, in addition to the value of the ultimate disfigurement, are huge components that need to be skillfully factored into the value of any dog bite claim.
Projecting the value of a personal injury claim resulting from a dog bite is a comprehensive and complicated process. There are often psychological issues stemming from the attack.
If the incident happened while on the job, you may be able to bring a claim for workers’ compensation benefits which we can also file on your behalf. We would also help limit any reimbursement the workers’ compensation insurance company would seek to recover from the third party claim against the homeowner insurance company. These are just a few of the important issues to consider before agreeing to any settlement with an insurance company for the owner of the animal.
It is advisable to hire an attorney who has handles personal injury matters involving dog bites and who is willing to move forward with litigation if the insurance company does not want to accept responsibility or pay a reasonable amount for a claim.
INJURIES THAT ROUTINELY ARISE FROM ANIMAL ATTACKS INCLUDE:
- Scarring and Disfigurement
- Nerve damage
- Punctures and Lacerations
- Serious Infections such as Rabies
- Torn Tendons and Ligaments
- Emotional and Physiological Injuries such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
The Law Office of Peter David Brown has successfully represented the victims of animal attacks.
Please call our office immediately so that we can help preserve all the evidence and gather the necessary facts to fully and completely document the attack. The steps you take immediately after the attack may help preserve your case. We have attorneys and investigators available to quickly respond to your needs.
IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF AN ANIMAL ATTACK, WE SUGGEST YOU FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- Call this office to allow us to guide you through the process.
WE CAN HELP YOU WITH EVERY STEP BELOW:
- Please report the incident to Animal Control, making note of any court appearances you are required to attend in order to prosecute the matter. We will attend these court appearances with you.
- Take several Photos of the injuries while fresh, making sure they are clear and taken from several angles.
- Document the names and numbers of all witnesses to the attack and immediately afterward.
- We will take statements to preserve the evidence.
- Make notes of any admissions, statements, or excited utterances made by the animal’s owner or keeper.
- If you would like to discuss your dog bite accident case with an experienced South Carolina Personal Injury and Dog Bite attorney, call us at (843) 971-0099 or contact us online here. Let us put our experience to work for you during this difficult time.